Thursday 6 March 2014

Back Workout

I'm glad to hear you liked the Shoulder Workout post- thank you for letting me know!  Today, I'm sharing the back workout I just did and then I'll add the legs/glutes and back/bicep workouts.  As always, I warm up for about 5 minutes on the treadmill at 4.0, then do three planks (held each one for 2 1/2 minutes this time- which is freaking hard and I'm always shaking at the end). 

I'm listing the weight/reps/sets I do, but obviously adjust according to your ability and goals.  If I was a beginner, I might do 3 sets of 12-15 reps with a light weight.  For years, I did the below exercises at about 30 pounds (and no weight on hyper extensions) but I found that if I tried to go a little heavier each time, my strength grew pretty quickly.  And I take these vitamins and supplements

You always want to be careful when lifting weights that you don't injure yourself, so err on the lighter side at first.  Also, it's a good idea to use a spotter. 

So here goes: 


I made a blank one for you too so you can print it out and fill in your specific workout.  You can copy and paste it into a Word document and then print it. I added a blank sheet on the shoulder workout post too.  I used to use my laminated workout sheets all the time, now I put it into my phone because they weight is always increasing.
HYPER EXTENSIONS
These are great for your lower back.  You can do this exercise without any weight (just your body bending down and coming back up).  I hold a 25 pound plate at my chest.

Image via 


BARBELL DEAD LIFT
These are also good for your hamstrings.
Image via Fitbie.com

T-BAR ROW
At my gym, I'm too short for this machine (can't really reach the bars) so I use a barbell instead (like the second picture- but with a barbell instead of dumbbells like the model).  Also, I couldn't find this machine at my gym so I asked one of the trainers to show me where it is.  Don't be shy about asking for help!  When we realized I was too short for it, she showed me the alternative exercise.  


Image via Irongasta.com


WIDE GRIP LATERAL PULLDOWN
For years, I did 30 pounds, I guess out of habit/routine, now I'm at 50.


SEATED CABLE ROW
This is a great exercise too- watch your posture during the exercise.

Image via Total Fitness

STRAIGHT ARM PULLDOWNS
This is one of my favorite exercises right now.  A lot of back exercises also work your biceps and this is one of them.

Image via Gym Heroines


No comments:

Post a Comment